Delivery methods are many and varied in order to achieve more cost-effective deliveries to anywhere in the world. Are you familiar with the delivery of goods in containers? This mode of transportation is known and most practiced in the Caribbean. If you also need to transport items abroad, the following lines will guide you in how you handle barrels. Then, it’s much easier and faster to choose the best option for sending your shipment to loved ones, relatives or business partners – anywhere in the world.
What is a shipping barrel?
Transporting goods in barrels can be a very effective method if the size and type are tailored to the type of goods. Today, it can be said that delivery in barrels is a common and used way of transporting almost everything – from one place to another. International trade is good and customers are happy with the service. The process is closely linked to the Caribbean culture but also to almost every other destination.
Delivery barrels are usually filled to capacity, according to the type selected for shipment. Compared to shipping boxes, containers provide high water resistance to the goods carried. They are also used for heavier objects. The benefits of delivery with barrels do not stop there – better conditions are created when loading and unloading the ship.
Who uses barrels for delivery?
Anyone who needs an efficient way of transporting goods could benefit from the service. People are constantly transporting goods this way. And, if you are wondering who uses barrels for delivery, then the answer is all.
Undoubtedly, different types of barrels are suitable for various shipments. Many businesses and individual customers are looking for a convenient method of delivering small-sized goods and are best placed with barrels. These transport packages can be filled to the maximum and save some costs compared to other modes of transport. The advantages are many more and they cover the disadvantages – it is important to know that their rolling is easy, which also contributes to faster and trouble-free loading and unloading.
What can be delivered?
The good thing about barrel shipping is that there is not a single size that puts customers in a situation of no choice. The market offers a wide range of barrels of varying capacity. This allows for the appropriate packaging and arrangement of various items. The advantage is that you are not limited in quantity and type of goods, although people mainly use them to transport:
- Children’s, men’s and women’s clothing
- Small items
- Several types of general merchandise and others
You could pack this, you want. Your needs will be met. Find out a little more about the costs in different companies and you will find the right freight forwarder for this purpose.
How do you make sure you use the best type of barrel to your needs?
There are several variants available for containers of different materials and sizes. Each has its advantages and is intended for certain shipments. Three types are widely available:
- Plastic barrels – this is the cheapest way to transport goods. It is much lighter than other types, but not suitable for certain goods. Ask the company you intend to trust in advance about this
- Steel Barrels- a very reliable way, highly preferred by many years of international shipping experience. Steel barrels are heavy and massive, but transportation is at a higher price
- Fiberboard shipping tubes – a convenient and cost-effective way to transport bulk dry goods
Once you’ve learned the basic options, it’s time to figure out how to choose the right one for you – according to the need to transport specific goods. There are several important factors to keep in mind:
- The goods you need to deliver to your final location – more delicate items require a special mode of transport at the expense of those with less weight and less chance of damage. Whether you are transporting clothes, food or other bulk goods, the choice should be made after speaking with the transport company. For example, for the supply of food and beverages, plastic barrels are a good option.
- The barrel-type must be in addition to profitability and under certain provisions – UN or DOT for hazmat, if hazmat goods are transported. This important detail should not be overlooked.
- The budget you have – steel barrels are more expensive than other options, but at the same time they give you a number of advantages. Again, it is important that the budget is properly allocated, but not that the condition of the goods is at serious risk of damage. Then a lower transportation budget will prove unprofitable because the goods will be unusable.
- Strict compliance with all regulations – barrels may sometimes be appropriate, but there are some items that are not allowed to be transported in specific barrels. The FDA prohibits the use of reconstructed barrels for the transportation of food and beverage products. If such a container is caught, then sanctions and privatization of the goods will follow, which will lead to many losses
Steps for packing barrels when making a delivery
Like any other activity, here are some basic requirements when preparing a shipment for a trip. They must be implemented in order to secure the goods and to arrive unharmed at the final destination. Here are the main steps you should follow in this process:
- Initially, you need to be aware of the type of goods. Before packing, look at them carefully to determine if they need additional protection. Otherwise, you are not immune to lost, damaged or broken items when opening the barrel when they reach the recipient. If the goods need protection, you can put any type of nylons and other layers on layers or pack each item individually.
- If you are aware of the specifics of the goods, take the boxes and pack them well. Lining them with extra paper or nylon so that there is no space in the box to prevent them from rolling. If, after packing and shaking, you hear that the goods are freely movable in the carton, put extra material inside.
- The next step involves wrapping each delicate item and attaching it carefully to the packing tape.
- Then place all the items in the selected shipping container. Follow a certain sequence – at the bottom should be the heaviest items, then the others as you see fit. At the top should be the finer and possibly damaged articles.
- Packaging foods, a special arrangement should also be. If it is not a problem to keep all food products in one place, arrange the possible leaks below and dry food on top.
- Before the container is fully sealed, place a label on top. This is a kind of guarantee that the goods will not be replaced or some items will be taken during transportation.
- As a last step or rather, you should be aware that glass items are not preferred for transportation in this way. Especially glasses and any kind of tableware. It is almost certain that they will not survive in the same form – aim for a more reliable method of delivery.
How many pounds can we put in a cargo barrel?
First, you need to be aware of the type of goods you want to transport. Only then should you focus on the mode of transport. Carrying them in barrels from one place to another involves a lot of rolling along the road, as careful as driving the captain. Loading and unloading is also faster and in most cases it is not a great deal of safekeeping. You should rely on good stacking and packing in the barrel beforehand.
As for the pounds, what is inside is also important. Some goods are not easily damaged and allow more items to be placed, but others can simply crumble. That is why the kilograms of each barrel are of different weight. They are usually more than 50, since less is less cost-effective.
Most Popular Shipping Destinations Overseas
This method of shipping goods is gaining popularity in the Caribbean. In addition, bargains are shipped overseas to many places around the world – Jamaica, Barbados, Trinidad, Guyana and others. The final destination must be determined in order to select the most suitable barrels and the exact number according to the goods to be transported. So there will be nothing unnecessary and the delivery will be tailored to your requirements:
- Shipping in barrels to Jamaica from Toronto – if you need to transport longer distances, study the cost well. Most companies offer good options for the countries concerned. You will immediately be charged for shipping and picking up the goods. Shipments from Toronto, London, Birmingham and other cities around the world to Jamaica are very common.
- Shipping in barrels to Barbados – you can find good logistics companies for transportation to Barbados. Air transportation is the best solution.
- Shipping in barrels to Trinidad – there is often interest in international shipments to Trinidad. Explore the possible logistics companies that will offer you the best deals on shipping from Toronto, New York, Miami and other places to Trinidad.
- Shipping in barrels to Guyana – sending to Guyana in barrels is easy and convenient, with the best shipping is by sea. When sending other shipments or needing research, check out the shipping rates for different shipping companies.